Monday 21 January 2013

Articulating a Porcupine Leg Part 1



*Safety first, always wear a mask when drilling/sawing bones. Bone-dust is not good for your lungs!*


First, you need all the supplies.
This is a list of what I used :
-white glue (I did not use super glue because it dries too fast)
-drill
-1.5 mm bit
-elastics
-wire
-wire cutters
-pencil
-water (not necessary)
-BONES

Before I started, I soaked the bones in water, so there would be less dust when I drill in them.
After getting all my supplies, I took the  ulna (hook shape at the top, picture: on the right) and the radius (left) and marked with a pencil where I wanted the holes to be (do this at every step).  I then drilled equilateral holes in the bones. I also cut small pieces of wire that I will place later.



I then drilled a hole in the ulna and humerus where they meet at the elbow joint.


make sure to check that the bones are at the right angle and that they fit at that angle because I made a mistake and had to drill 2 holes in the humerus.


After I made sure that the hole was okay this time, I  CAREFULLY drilled through the bottom of the radius (wrist joint side ) and into the ulna.
now the bones should look somewhat like this:

I put the pieces of wire with some glue into the holes, and attached elastics to hold the bones in place while I let them dry.






next week I will write about attaching the scapula, wrist, and paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment